By Antonis Karidis
F-100D, tail number 440 was assigned to the 107th Fighter Squadron, Michigan Air National Guard in 1972. 440 flew with the 107th until that unit converted to the Vought A-7D Corsair II.
F-100D-86 s/n 56-3440 entered service on December 19, 1957 and flew 6,159 hours over its 21-year career. The aircraft flew during the Cuban Missile Crisis of October 1962, was stationed in Japan, and in 1965, moved to Bien Hoa Air Base in South Vietnam. The Museum’s F-100D fought for several years, sustaining damage from ground fire on several occasions. The aircraft is displayed as it appeared during the heaviest fighting during the Tet Offensive of 1968, when it flew for the 531st TFS of the 3rd TFW. In 1970 #440 returned to the U.S. and flew in active duty until transferred to the Michigan Air Guard in 1972.
On August 8, 1978, the aircraft was retired and transferred to the National Air and Space Museum.
“Miller Time” depicts that day with Col Donald Miller, commander of the 107th Fighter Squadron takes 440 on its final flight, taking this aircraft from Selfridge ANG Base to Andrews Air Force Base, on its way to its new home at the National Air and Space Museum. 440 is currently on display at the Udvar-Hazy annex at Dullas International Airport in Chantilly, VA.
Proceeds from the sale of prints help us in our restoration efforts.
The Selfridge Military Air Museum is working on a major fund-raising campaign for some long-needed infrastructure improvements, the most important a ‘new home’ for the FG-1D Corsair that is currently undergoing extensive restoration and our beloved T-6 ‘Texan’, which we’d like to get out of our Michigan weather.
The Corsair is currently being restored by our restoration team. Please help, if you can!