AIR PARK DISPLAYS
AUTHENTIC MILITARY AIRCRAFT
Index of Aircraft
U.S. Air Force
U.S. Coast Guard
This Lockheed-built transport was originally developed as an assault transport capable of operating from short unpaved runways.
Adopted by USNSCC Anchor Division
TF-102A ‘DELTA DAGGER’
The TF-102 is the trainer version of the F-102, which was the first operational delta-winged fighter in the USAF and the first operational fighter designed to defend itself with missiles and rockets only (no guns).
Adopted by SMSgt Ralph Watkins & the Evans Family
F-100D SUPER SABRE
This North American built fighter-bomber was the first production aircraft in the USAF inventory capable of flying faster than the speed of sound (approximately 760 mph at sea level).
Adopted by the 176th Selfridge Composite Squadron CAP
A-7D CORSAIR II
The A-7D was the US Air Force’s version of the A-7 developed for the US Navy and was designed primarily as a ground attack aircraft. This Vought built fighter-bomber was flown by the 107th Tactical Fighter Squadron at Selfridge from 1978 to 1989.
Adopted by Boy Scout Troop 127
F-100F SUPER SABRE
This version of the F-100D was developed by North American as a two-place trainer. It was flown by the 107th Tactical Fighter Squadron at Selfridge from 1972 to 1978 and was airlifted to Selfridge and presented to the Air Museum during the 1984 Air Show and Open House.
Adopted by Boy Scout Troop 127
This military version of the Convair 440 airliner was used for personnel, staff transportation, and support missions at Selfridge by the Michigan ANG’s 127th Fighter Wing from 1976 to 1986.
Sponsor Needed – Click Here for Details
The full-scale, historically accurate, replica of the French built SPAD on display was constructed over a three year period (2006-2009) by Selfridge Military Air Museum volunteers. The SPAD was flown by 15 of the 16 American Expeditionary Forces in World War I and was the personal favorite of Capt Eddie Rickenbacker, America’s leading ace of World War I.
The North American built F-86 was the Air Force’s first swept-wing jet fighter. It was used extensively in the Korean War where it’s most frequent opponent was the MIG jet fighter. The F-86 became known as “The MIG Killer”.
Adopted by the Richmond Lions Club
Built by Republic, this swept winged aircraft evolved from the straight winged F-84E. It was flown by the Michigan ANG at Detroit’s Metropolitan Airport from 1958 to 1960.
Adopted by Chive Michigan
This reconnaissance version of the F-101 fighter built by McDonnell was the first photo recon aircraft capable of flying faster than the speed of sound (approximately 760 mph at sea level). It saw service in Vietnam and was used to confirm the dismantling of Russian missiles in Cuba at the end of the Cuban missile crisis.
Adopted by Cub Scout Pack 90
F-106A DELTA DART
The F-106 was an all-weather fighter-interceptor. Developed from the F-102, it uses a guidance and fire control system that was capable of automatically flying the aircraft into an attack position, firing the weapons (missiles and rockets only), then returning the aircraft to its home base.
Adopted by Rebecca Joseph & Friends
F-16A FIGHTING FALCON
The F-16 was the result of a request by the US Air Force for a light-weight, low-cost, high-performance aircraft. This General Dynamics built F-16A aircraft was flown by two Selfridge units, the 191st FIG from 1990-1994 and the 127th FW from 1990 to 2009.
Adopted by Boy Scout Troop 200
A-10A THUNDERBOLT II
The A-10 Thunderbolt II, affectionately known as the “Warthog” was the first Air Force aircraft for the close air support of ground forces. The 107th Fighter Squadron at Selfridge ANG Base converted from the F-16 to the A-10 in 2009.
Adopted by Boy Scout Troop 272
T-33A ‘SHOOTING STAR’
This Lockheed-built two-place trainer was originally intended to train pilots to fly jets. The T-33 is a derivative of the P-80 which was the Air Force’s first operational jet fighter.
Adopted by Red Roof Inn
The RF-84F, built by Republic, was the result of a need for a high-speed reconnaissance aircraft that could either evade an enemy or engage and defeat him. This aircraft was flown by the Michigan ANG at Detroit’s Metropolitan Airport and Selfridge from 1958 to 1971.
Adopted by Cub Scout Pack 1711
This aircraft is the military version of the Beech 18 commercial transport. The aircraft on display was originally an AT-11 that was converted to a Beech 18 after World War II
Adopted by the Van Dyke Cadet Squadron
of the CAP
F-4C PHANTOM II
The F-4 was originally developed for the US Navy as a carrier-based all-weather interceptor. The F-4C is the first version developed for the US Air Force who used it as an all-weather multi-role fighter.
Adopted by the Fingal,Upleger and Czapla Families
The RB-57 was built by the Glenn Martin Company under license from English Electric. In 1958, as part of the modernization of the ANG, four units, including the 172nd Tac Recon Squadron at Kellogg Field in Battle Creek, received the RB-57A from the US Air Force.
Adopted by Chive Michigan
The F-89C “Scorpion” was a twin-engine, all-weather, fighter-interceptor designed to locate, intercept, and destroy enemy aircraft by day or night under all types of weather conditions.
Adopted by Boy Scout Troop 209
U-3A “BLUE CANOE”
This USAF version of the civilian Cessna 310 was used as a light cargo and utility transport by the Air Force Reserve’s 927th Tactical Air Support Squadron at Selfridge from 1968 to 1971.
Adopted by the 927th Alumni Association
This aircraft is on loan from the National Museum of Naval Aviation. It was built by McDonnell Douglas. The A-4 was designed as a lightweight attack aircraft capable of carrying conventional and nuclear weapons.
Adopted by USNSCC Tomcat Squadron
ANffSW-7 Air Traffic Control Center
This type of Mobile Control Tower was used to provide Air Traffic Control
services at locations where no control tower exists or the fixed control tower is not operational.
Adopted by D.E. LECTRONICS
The UH-1 “Huey” was originally developed as an Army utility helicopter. It’s original designation, HU-1, evolved into its unofficial, but well-known nickname, the “Huey”.
Adopted by North Macomb Lions Club
The “Cobra” is a two-bladed, tandem seat (front & back) attack helicopter powered by a single turbine engine. The “Cobra” performs anti-armor, air cavalry and armed reconnaissance roles.
Adopted by Cub Scout Pack 1718
M-113-A2 Armored Personnel
The M-113-A2 armored personnel carrier is a lightly armored full-tracked air-transportable personnel carrier designed to carry personnel and certain types of cargo.
Adopted by Pete Saldana & Dan Spranger
Wiesel MKffOW Weapon Carrier
The Wiesel 1 MK/TOW weapon carrier is an air transportable light-armored,
front-driven track vehicle manufactured by Rheinmetall Landsysteme in
Adopted by John Neubert
The nuclear-capable Nike-Hercules was designed to address short-comings in the Nike-Ajax (e.g., the Nike-Ajax’s inability to discern individual bombers within a densely-packed flying formation).
Adopted by Mr. Louis A. Cetrone, Jr.
The US-2A Tracker, Aircraft #144721, is on loan from the National Museum of Naval Aviation.
Adopted by Cub Scout Pack 206
This Lockheed-built long range anti-submarine and patrol aircraft was flown by the US Navy Reserve’s Patrol Squadron (VP) 93 from 1976 until it was decommissioned in 1994.
Sponsored by the VP-93 Alumni Association
This aircraft is the military version of the Beech Model 18 commercial transport. The aircraft on display was originally anAT-7 that was converted to a Beech 18 after WW II and was restored to represent an NAS Grosse Ile SNB-5 that was used as a small transport and liaison aircraft.
Adopted by the EAA Chapter 113
This Grumman built carrier-based multi-role strike fighter was designed to replace the F-4 “Phantom” as the Navy’s main interceptor. The F-14 had visual and all weather attack capability to deliver Phoenix and Sparrow missiles as well as the M-61 gun and Sidewinder missiles for close in air-to-air combat.
Adopted by Cub Scout Pack 290
The Sikorsky HH-52 helicopter was developed from a Sikorsky commercial S-62 amphibious helicopter. This is the helicopter that truly made rotary-wing aviation the backbone of Coast Guard aviation.
Adopted by U.S. Coast Guard Air Station Detroit