A-4B SKYHAWK

Adopted by the USNSCC TOMCAT SQUADRON

This aircraft is on loan from the National Museum of Naval Aviation. The A-4 was built by McDonnell Douglas and was designed as a lightweight attack aircraft capable of carrying conventional and nuclear weapons. It was flown at Selfridge by Naval Reserve units from 1969 to 1973. The long “pole” protruding past the nose is an aerial refueling probe.

AIRCRAFT STATISTICS
WINGSPAN: 27' 6"
LENGTH: 40' 4 "
HEIGHT: 15' 2"
WEIGHT: 12,208 lbs.
ENGINE: P&W J-52-P-6
THRUST: 7,700 lbs.
SPEED: 670 mph
1st FLIGHT: 1956

Return to Air Park Displays Page

Return to Selfridge Air Museum Home Page